We are in a watershed movement regarding sexual abuse. As horrific as sexual abuse is, mental abuse is also very damaging as victims are left in physical and mental anguish. Below are some examples of mental abuse wife endured during her relationship for many, many years:
- Despite being the sole provider for the family, wife received no acknowledgement or appreciation from husband
- Including being the sole provider, it was also expected for wife to be the sole nurturer, educator, cleaner, carpenter, landscaper, negotiator, etc.
- Including being all of the above, wife had to walk on eggshells in fear of hurting husband’s feelings
- Including all the of above, wife could not express dissatisfaction on any of the above subjects for fear of being isolated which can be months
- Including all of the above, wife received no acknowledgements on birthdays, anniversaries, Mother’s Day, etc.
- Including all of the above, wife received no compliments only negative comments
- Including all of the above, husband expected to be painted in the brightest lights and generally plays devil’s advocate in every situation involving wife
- Including all the above, husband supports any and everyone who’s in opposition with wife – generally takes the side of everyone but the wife
- Including all of the above, husband withheld intimacy
- Including all of the above, husband shut wife out emotionally / ignored her
- Including all of the above, husband spent countless hours on his phone/computer oblivious to child and wife
- Including all of the above, husband exposed child to indecent content upsetting wife but accepted no responsibility for his actions
- Including all of the above, spread lies about wife to family members who in turned isolated her
- Including all the above, husband accepted no responsibility for his behavior – in turn blamed wife
- Including all the above, husband is vindictive by destroying wife’s property
- Including all of the above, husband eventually left the family because his selfish needs weren’t met including expectations of him to be a better father, provider, partner…
Despite being treated so unfairly, wife never left the relationship or strayed. In the end, it doesn’t matter what you do or how hard you try, you can never be anything more than a slave to a mental abuser. These people are often cold, selfish and insecure. Their sole goal is to isolate and break you down. I know it’s not easy because in the end you’re left feeling incomplete or empty from the years of abuse… Everything comes to an end eventually and there is a silver lining in all this. Use the abuse and ill treatments to believe in yourself because you ARE a strong, competent, independent woman and have been the entire time. What didn’t break you, ultimately makes you stronger!!